Tuesday, June 4, 2019

More thoughts on the Gil Thorp Storyline


    https://www.gocomics.com/gilthorp/2019/06/03

   Gil's wife Mimi, also a coach, has her hands full with the "Too Cool for School" movement in her team. She tells the team to read Orwell's Animal Farm over the weekend, and the team will discuss the book on Monday.

   The strip linked above shows the problem with education today. The student says she is "reading about" the book, not actually reading it. Heaven forbid that students actually READ the original text! It's more about the work ethic; taking the easy way becomes second nature Students carry that attitude over to their adult lives, and usually pay the price for it. t best, it's a chewing-out and maybe losing one job. At worst, it leads to a series of similar jobs that lead nowhere.

   This week I conclude a 25-year career teaching high school.  I have taught in three states and will continue as an adjunct at a local two-year technical college (where I have been for 14 years. Over that time I have seen an erosion of the work ethic. I tell students to take a work ethic from me if nothing else. There are enough students who have one to give me some encouragement, but it is not like it used to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...