Tuesday, June 5, 2018

RFK Assassination 50 Years On


     If I had the time, I would write about the pivotal year of 1968. It was a watershed year for several nations, but especially for the United States. Among other events, in April was Martin Luther King's assassination, and barely two months later, that of Robert F. Kennedy.

     Truthfully speaking, I have come to respect and mourn him. My parents were rock-ribbed Republicans, and no fans of the Kennedys. In 1968 I worked for Nixon, and even heard him speak.

     Whether or not Sen. Kennedy would have captured the Democratic presidential nomination is something that can never be known. Even if he had not, he would have been the front-runner in 1972. Regardless of the year, he could have made a positive impact on the nation and world.

     About 11 years later I read Arthur Schlesinger's Robert Kennedy and His Times, and was impressed at how he grew into the person he became. He immersed himself and his family with good literature, journalism, and encouraged them to question and think.


https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/jun/05/robert-kennedy-50th-anniversary-kerry-kennedy-interview   The optimism is needed!


     

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...