Saturday, March 17, 2018

Warning: This is a Partisan Post


   If you have read any of my poetry or posts, you know that I am originally from the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania region. Although I moved from there 54 years ago, my accent, sports preferences, and ethos come from that region.

   When I was younger, the area was a Democratic stronghold. ?my family was rock-ribbed Republicans. When we moved to the Philadelphia area, I was even chairman of the local Teen-Age Republicans. I considered myself a liberal Republican; such a thing does not even exist, and has not for some years.

   I changed my views, and am a proud Democrat. so did my area of Western Pennsylvania. But that changed last Tuesday. Democrat Colin Lamb, Marine veteran, eked out a narrow win against the incumbent Rick Saccone.

   Every so often I sued to be asked by people why I was a Democrat, given that I am a Lutheran pastor and in the military (now a veteran). Without meaning to, Saccone answered that question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsYp9q3QNaQ

   Being a Christian means ascribing to the Ecumenical Creeds, not a political platform. He, and others, elevate a secondary concern to ultimate status (as theologian Paul Tillich would explain it. ) I am proud that the voters of the 18th Congressional District of Pennsylvania rejected him and his views. While these special elections may not carry the same weight as a by-electio
n in the UK, they have assumed more importance over the years here.

   PA 18th, I am proud of you'uns!


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...