Saturday, July 1, 2017

Bundestag Approves Same-Sex Marriage

   Full of nuances, it has happened. Chancellor Angela Merkel indicated her disapproval, but potential coalition partners made their support conditions, so it was approved. not that the Christian Democrats (and the Bavarian sister party welcomed it with open arms, but Realpolitik carried the day.

    I imagine what clinched it wa
s the Free Democrats insistence. They would be the likeliest coalition partner. And their late leader, Guide Westerwelle, was gay.

    Personally I have been in favor of civil unions for some time now. Ecclesiastically speaking, that is another matter but at least my denomination (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America) has settled the issue, and I have long said that the matter need not be church-dividing.

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...