Saturday, May 7, 2016

"Reuben, Reuben", or How Not to Be a Poet

    When I lived in southwestern Virginia, I was thrilled to have cable TV. I selected Cinemax as my movie channel, since they had classier movies (to me at least). In 1983, before my wife and I married, I saw "Reuben, Reuben", with Tom Conti and the screen debit of Kelly McGillis. Conti was nominated for an Oscar for his work here.

     Based on Dylan Thomas and on every oozing, womanizing poet who neglected to write after having achieved celebrity, the movie shows Gowan McGland's descent into lower and lower levels.
He is an engaging person, but for everyone who loves him, another person loathes him.

    I watched this tonight on youtube; the link is below. What struck me is that how he wasted his gifts, and paid a terrible price for it. There are several things and people who ground me, and I am grateful for it! I will mention my wife and family, a few close friends, my faith, and a sense of discipline. Not that I have been or am perfect; but I am not been as low as McGland.

    Whatever gifts you have, and we all have some, please do not squander them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiRZTil_mRQ

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...