Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Open Mic at Tell the Truth, Tell it Slant- Richland County Public Library


   Here is the poem from tonight. I wrote it in class and revised it with some guidance from Ed Madden. The goal was to use an abstraction with a personage, real or fictional.

When Insight Comes to You as Batman

When courage comes to you as Batman,
You must count yourself lucky.
After all, he has no superpowers
Only a whole bunch of Bat-this
And Bat-that because
Bruce Wayne can afford it
And stately Wayne Manor
Has lots of storage space.

I play some relaxing music for him
Vaughan Williams string pieces
Since Batman is so stressed out.

He tells me to get over
Some perceived insult because
Nothing can compare to seeing
Your parents slain by dastardly criminals
Or dealing with villains
Repeatedly escaping from allegedly-secure
Prisons with frightful regularity.

Actually he does have a point I think
Putting out some beer and pretzels
And vow to ignore the people
Acting out of ignorance and/or jealousy.
They are non-entities, not archfiends like
Green-haired Joker, question-mark festooned
Riddler or umbrella-wielding Penguin.
I raise my mug, and exclaim
Holy Insight, Batman!” as
The Caped Crusader wipes
Foam from his mask
And reaches for a pretzel
With gloved hand.

Arthur Turfa, copyright 2015


 I also read one from my book  entitled Late Afternoon: The Pilgrimage Church

A fantastic class series. Tonight Some of my poetic mentors and friends were there, along with new friends. Wow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...