Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Sir George Martin, RIP

     There have been several Fifth Beatles; original drummer Pete Best, Billy Preston, who played with the band in the studio, and the late Sir George Martin, who passed away yesterday.

     Best and Preston belong to the past. But Martin leaves an indelible mark on the music written by the band. He pushed the limits and in what was a once-in-a-lifetime-moment, altered the world in a positive way. His arranging, musicianship, and artistry took music to new, unheard-of levels.

    Around the time that "Sgt. Pepper" came out, I was eating lunch when my mother shoved a copy of TIME magazine under my nose. (I believe she was one of the earliest subscribers to the magazine). "See? This is the man who knows music who does everything for the Beatles. All they know is yeah-yeah-yeah, but he actually knows music!"

    Mom thought that the USA should use the money the Fa Four earned here to pay of Britain's WWII debt. Had it not been for America, she said the Beatles would be singing in German. I am not making this up!

    I waited a few days. It was summer, and my brother and I, along with our teacher mother, were home from school. Dad was at work. He didn't like the Beatles either, but said nothing.  I passed through the living room where Mom was enthralled by a Perry Como appearance on a show.

     Perry was from Canonsburg, PA. Any Western Pennsylvanian was all right in Mom's book, especially after we moved across the state to the Philadelphia vicinity. Had there been an axe murderer from, let's say, Sewickley, Mom would have thought him far superior to any criminal.
Como had once been a barber, hence the sobriquet "The Singing Barber". He dressed casually by the standards of the day, and often sat on a stool while he sang.

    I thought Como was all right, but, here was my chance to say something in defense of my idols.
"Who's singing?" I inquired. "Perry Como." "He's not so good."  Nuclear blasts were more tranquil than what transpired next.

     After the mushroom cloud, I said. " He doesn't play an instrument, didn't write the song, had as a whole orchestra backing him up. He sings all right," but the Beatles write and play their own songs. George Martin helps them with orchestration, but it is still their music."

     With that, I walked away.Cheeky teenager, but I appreciated good music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKQ9--_ZgB4   Perry's signature song, to show there are no hard feelings.




http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/mar/09/george-martin-the-man-who-changed-pop-forever-with-a-little-help-from-his-friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...