Thursday, March 10, 2016

Buried deep in that pile of things to read......


     My fascination with the US Civil War stems from that fact that its Centennial began when I was int he second grade. Already I was an avid reader, and absorbed everything I could about that conflict. My family was not here at that time. A great-grandfather from the German part of the family was in the Prussian Army, the Hungarians were flexing some muscle and worked out the Double Monarchy with their Austrian overlords, and I have no ideas what the Belgians in the family where during that time.

     From my wife's side of the family came S.C. Gwynne's Rebel Yell: The Violence, Passion, and Redemption of Stonewall Jackson. I read about 60 pages before my events began. The book is comprehensive and full of detail. So far one things has really stayed with me. At the outbreak of the war, Jackson, thinking that the South's only chance was for a quick victory, advocated killing Union prisoners of war. That idea was promptly rejected, but to me it rather punctures of myth of Southern gallantry and Northern brutality. 

     Eventually I will read some more, and maybe share some insights. 

     http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DPM7Z4Y/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...