Saturday, February 18, 2023

Remembering the Rev. Allan Wm. Kinloch on the 6th Anniversary of His Passing

     Accents I consider as my thematically=best poetry book. There is a section in it about people who have had a tremendous influence on me. This poem is about the Rev. Al Kinloch from the Church-on-the-Mall (Presbyterian), in Plymouth Meeting, PA. 

     I met him as a junior high student, and eventually became a Lutheran colleague. He mentored me as a young man and as an adult. He combined faith with flair, commitment, and integrity. He impacted hundreds of young people in a positive way and even more adults. 

    Now all denominations face a clergy shortage for a host of reasons. My fear is that there are not enough Al Kinlochs to inspire young people. I try in my way; and yes, people attend seminary at later stages in their lives. 

   Read his obituary, enjoy the poem, and find the book on the links. I hope you have your Polaris,



 https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/inquirer/name/allan-kinloch-obituary?id=9386622

https://www.amazon.com/stores/Arthur-Turfa/author/B00YJ9LNOA?ref=ap_rdr&store_ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

https://www.blurb.com/b/10799783-the-botleys-of-beaumont-county


 Precession of the Equinox: Polaris Shifts

 

Slightly tending westward, gradually

the lodestar  yields to its successor

as a new Astrological Age begins.

A residual memory, following me

from the Planetarium in Junior High.

Polaris’ replacement will then

give direction to new future stargazers.

 

One of the last young people to escape

from Kensington’s web of snarling streets

and elevated train lines, you seized your chance.

You became our Polaris, colorful in action

and attire, caring and cajoling, steadying

us to be the people you knew we could become.

 

Across the county or continent, we returned

and you greeted us, gloried in those returns.

As colleagues we spoke when storms neared,

and I kept your counsel in sight toward calm waters.

 

Now I know you began your procession,

stepping aside, though not then out of view.

Some of us search for you, exchanging pieces

that do not always fit together.

Second-hand accounts, some leading closer,

others in contradiction, point to a lodestar

that no longer shines in our heavens.

 

Every so often I scan the spreading stars

for our Polaris, until comes the realization

we are now lodestars for ourselves,

for stargazers we need to steady, for those

who receive the light as we did once

while scanning skies for our Polaris.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...