Sunday, March 27, 2022

Touched by a Blogpost from Germany

https://miriamgross.blog/2022/03/27/von-tafeln-steigender-bedurftigkeit-und-gottesbegegnungen/ 

     When Russia invaded Ukraine, I knew there would be a massive number of refugees, most of which would head west, especially to Germany. My grandmother's hometown in eastern Hungary became a reception place, given that it is only 20 know or so from the border. But many Ukrainian refugees have relatives or friends in Germany, which is Europe's strongest economy.

     The link above is the English translation of my friend and colleague Rev. Dr. Miriam Groß's blog. I read the German original, but there is a translation option, so I chose that. How she finds time to volunteer in this way amazes me, since she has a husband, four children, and is a full-time police chaplain in Bamberg, Germany. However, that is the type of person she is. She is fluent in English, having served parishes in Scotland and the USA. 

     Now she sees an increasing number of Ukrainian refugees. She will pick up enough Ukrainian to help them, although most of the refugees know some English and/or German. Imagine their joy when they hear someone speaking to them in their own language if only a little bit! What a welcoming sign that is!

     President Biden has authorized up to 100,000 Ukrainian refugees to enter the USA. Some will likely come to the area where I live, and I hope to help them in some way. When the war began one of my first thoughts was to call the US Army Chaplains School at nearby Ft. Jackson, SC, and offer my services. But I do not have the linguistic skills, and there are people already in place. 

     The future is uncertain, not only about Ukraine but about the potential expansion of the conflict. That is indeed scary. My faith helps me face such things. Additionally, I will do what I can. For today,m that is highlighting what a dear friend and colleague is doing now.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...