Monday, May 29, 2017

JFK born 100 years ago today


     Now this makes me feel old! Turning 64 yesterday did not, but the centennial of John F. Kennedy's birth does give me pause. I vividly remember the 1960 election. My second grade class had a mock vote. I believe he won by one vote I voted for Nixon. Then recess came and we were all friends again. Such it was before America became bitter, mean, and antagonistic.

     As you can infer, my family where rock-ribbed Republicans, and I did not hear a kind word spoken about JFK growing up. But as I aged, I came to appreciate him more and more. In high school I shed my conservatism and became a liberal Republican. One could be that back then, especially in the Northeastern part of the country.

     By university I became a Democrat officially. In German class we read Kennedy's Ich bin ein Berliner speech,and I was struck by how hawkish he was. Certainly the situation required it, but I began to question everything that I had heard at home about the man.

     During my seminary internship I read a used copy of William Manchester's biography of Robert Kennedy, and saw him in a different light. While I did not support Teddy Kennedy's challenge to President Carter for the Democratic nomination in 1980, I came to admire Teddy.

     Doubtless some will talk about the affairs, placing his brother in the cabinet, and all of the other things that swirl around JFK. But compared to what we have now for presidential leadership and vision, I would take all of that in a heartbeat.

     All that I will say about the assassination is that the whole story has yet to be told. From what we know/think/suspect, it is not a pretty won, and the nation started on a long path in the wrong direction on 22 November 1963.


     JFK;s daughter Caroline Kennedy Schlossberg and her daughter Tatiana appeared on a video talking about his legacy. Below is a link.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/24/politics/jfk100-caroline-kennedy-100th-birthday/

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...