Saturday, October 22, 2016









     Readers to this blog will know of my interest in the House of Stuart and its attempt at a second restoration. A poem from Places and Times refers to a dream I had in which I was at the court of the Old Pretender.  My wife thinks that is daft, and ironically she is the one with some Scots in her, not me!

     This book is fascinating and important. Riding sets the stage and gives a detailed account of what happened. Here are some of my observations, which in true Teutonic fashion (maybe a nod to the House of Hanover), I shall list by number.

     1. James "III" did not know exactly what Bonnie Prince Charlie was doing.
     2. If the French ship with munitions and soldiers hadactually landed with the Prince, things might have been different. As it was, he was told to go home.
     3. Charles should have solidified his control in Scotland before heading to England.
     4. As it was, he made it to Derby, 120 miles form London. If English and Welsh Jacobites had actually shown up, and the alleged Jacobites in London demonstrated, history might have been different.
     5. Charles did not like to listen to opinion that differed with his. Derby is one example, Culloden another.
     6. The Duke of Cumberland, George II's second son, was a old as Charles but was a better commander.
      7. Even after Culloden the Jacobites had a chance, but even at that battle there were 2,000 of them  not on the field due to a foul-up attempted raid.
      C2- Command and Control is very important. The Jacobite leadership was often what the US Army calls a "Charlie Foxtrot": no reference to the Prince.

    I heartily recommend this book to those interested in British history.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...