Monday, October 3, 2016

Sir Neville Marriner, RIP

     In the eaerly 1970s, I was at the Pennsylvania State University. During my first year, I was a reporter for The Daily Collegian, and did some work at WDFM in news. In my sophomore year I took some time off from the newspaper, but that's another story, and worked at the radio station exclusively.

     A few months at Public Affairs director saw me sechedule things to play from 1-2 pm so we could keep our license. Our classical music show was from 2-5 pm. Eventually I became Fine Arts Director for the Third Program, mdeled after the BBC's Third Programme, its classical music show.

   By then I had long abandoned the guitar and had no musical qualifications. However, I would run a staff, tell music majors to stick to the basics since in then there was no Internet, YouTube, or the like. We were the source of classical music for Central Pennsylvania. I also arranged the records and  could pronounce the names of composers/musicians.

   In those days I became acquainted with Sir Neville Marriner. Not merely in baroque, but Elgar and others came to life in his recordings. He was an excellent violinist as well. Now he has passed away, and we have a trove of recordings to savor all the more.

   When i used my radio voice, friends did not recognize me:"And that was the Academy of St. Martin's-in-the -Fields, under the baton of Sir Neville Marriner, in Handel's Water Music." I have adopted a voice for each of my careers: school, Church, miltary. But they all begna in the Sparks Hall studios.

    Maestro, you will teach the angels a thing or two, I daresay!



http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/03/arts/music/neville-marriner-prolific-musician-and-acclaimed-conductor-dies-at-92.html?_r=0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6O8ob4YDX0

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...