Friday, May 6, 2016

Auden's Poem on Freud


     The historian in me looked aghast as I read the Google blurb on Sigmund Freud. While he was born on 6 May 1856 in Pribor, it was in the Austrian Empire, not the Czech Republic. He was born about a dozen years from the inception of Austria-Hungary, where my grandparents were born and what was listed so often in obituaries of my hometown newspapers.

     Having escaped from the Nazis in 1938 (Austria had been joined to the Reich), Freud spent the rest of his life in London. W.H. Auden infused contemporary events with his poetic gifts and created impressive verse. The poem whose linked appears below is but one example.

 

https://www.poets.org/poetsorg/poem/memory-sigmund-freud

As Freud said, sometimes a cigar is only a cigar. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...