Sunday, February 1, 2015

Early Spring or More Winter?

     Punxsutawney Phil knows, and will reveal all tomorrow. Northern Europeans grew tired of long winters, and wanted to know if there was a break. February 2 evolved into Candlemas, a day of light. When I attended Christ-Seminary/Seminex in St. Louis, the semesters were Michaelmas and Candlemas, aka Fall and Spring. We had a January fast-paced semester as well.
     German immigrants brought the traditions of Lichtermesse with them, and the prognosticating groundhog also. Actually, the idea of one; I doubt if they actually brought a Murmeltier with them
Phil is the only one to whom I lend credence; I will not deign to mention his rivals. Here is a link to the events: http://www.pennlive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2015/01/groundhog_day_2015_guide_punxs.html

Another interesting thing from Western Pennsylvania! I thought yinz might like to know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...