Friday, January 30, 2015

Here is the poem I read last week at the Coogler Festival in Blythewood, South Carolina. Taken from my coming book from eLectio Publishing, "Poems of Times and Places, Reflected", it is more whimsical that most of what I write. About ten years ago while riding the Linie 1 in Würzburg, Germany, I saw someone who reminded me of Emma, with someone whom I assumed was her daughter. Five years later, the muse visited me.
     I autographed the copy from which I read and presented to my friend who helped me arrange the reading. 



Thinking I Saw Emma Thompson on the Number 1

On a crowded tram on late afternoon
Our eyes met in a fleeting glance.
My shopping all done, my stop coming soon,
We connected completely by chance.

Hidden by those standing around, her eyes
Shining from a flawless face, framed by hair
Curling, covering her ears, a surprise
With daughter- not Gaia!- standing there.

What brings you, lovely Emma, to me now?
This day as the city slides into Spring?
Has she been looking for me since Sanderau?
Or merely her mirage, with no joy to bring?


Arthur Turfa, © 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...