Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Significant Song Number 12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNpLSaCirj8
"Are You Sure Hank Done it This Way?"   Waylon Jennings 1975

     I wish I had caught this when it was released. Springsteen broke out that year, and as a graduate student living all right but not comfortably well at University of California-Irvine, I could not afford all o fthe records I wanted to buy. Actually I was slowly replacing what was lost in my move West from Pennsylvania (sad story).
     Waylon wrote this song which took the glitzy trands in Country music to task. He was moving toward Outlaw status, and wrote this really as a rock song. When I reflect on how something is deviating from its roots nowasays, this song comes to mind.
      For me, it was important to find out how something or some movement was done from the beginning. German historian Leopold von Ranke concentrated on "wie es eigentlich gewsen" (how it actually was), and I felt that way long before I knew about him.
     As a teenager that interest led into the early years of Christianity (it srill does). Concerning poetry, it is in searching older forms but also caputring newer inspirations to retain their vigor and freshness.
     Enjoy the song!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...