Sunday, November 30, 2014

Mark Twain born 30 November 1835


     There is a picture of Twain in my classroom, from a series of Great American Authors. Occasionally someone remarks that I resemble him. Usually that means that it is time for me to get a haircut, because when the white shows and curls over my ears and collar, that is when I need a trim.

    Twain (born Samuel Langhorne Clemens in Florida, Missouri), wrote some poems, but is of course far better-known for his novels and short stories. My fourth-grade teacher read The Adventures of Tom Sawyer to us, and all of the boys dreamed of rafting on the Mississippi. The nearby Monongahela was not as exotic, but it did flow into the Ohio, which in turn flow into the Mississippi. We contented ourselves with roaming the woods.

     He skewered the excesses of The Gilded Age; I wish he could shed lite on our current state of affairs! I offer one of his many famous quotes:
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...