Monday, May 4, 2020

Sad 50th Anniversary : Kent State Shootings


 The "Town Crier" was the Plymouth-Whitemarsh newspaper. The tradition was that the incoming staff did the last paper of the year before they were seniors. I was invited to take the helm at each of the "underground" newspapers, both on opposite sides of the political spectrum.
But I stayed with the established newspaper. For our first issue, I asked this to be put into the Sports section:
Ohio National Guard - 4
Kent State - 0
Our adviser Mr. Roundtree was not thrilled, but to his credit, let it pass. Dr. Wall, the principal, did not call me into the office for that. Steve Dragon and Mitchell Garshman Miller were News Editor and Sports Editor at the time.
As a nation we are divided now as we were then. I hope no one posts something like this a half-century from now about something that happened during these days.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...