Monday, June 5, 2017

Thoughts from the other side of the Atlantic on the UK General Election


    For what it's worth, here are my thoughts. It is very interesting to see a tighter race, with YouGov predicting a hung parliament. When the election was called (despite Prime Minister May's earlier statements about NOT calling one), I thought she would maintain that massive lead.

    But that has not been the case. Fiscal conservatism always hurts society. I see it in the USA, especially where I live: South Carolina. Here we have decaying roads and the legislature did nothing about it. They tried, but could not agree, because it would mean raising taxes/spending money. At least the state pension system was saved. I have a vested interest there.

    There is no strong opposition in the UK. I am partial to the Liberal Demoractrs, but Paddy Ashdown has retired and after the coalition debacle of 2010, that party has been trounced at the polls.Labour has tried to rebuild, and Jeremy Corbyn
has had his own issues within the party. But at least Labour has taken the lead on the center-left to raise some issues.

    The recent terror attacks in Manchester and London are horrifying, and would go on no matter who was at Number 10.

    My prediction: a lesser Tory majority. And then a quicker-than-expected new election.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...