Sunday, March 26, 2017

Colin Dexter, RIP


     I used to kid that my wife and I went through Oxford University. We honeymooned in England, and one afternoon drove to Oxford, got a room at the Royal auto Club Hotel. We walked around for a few hours, and went through one of the colleges; I forget which, but I made my quip. In a way I was liked Jay Gatsby, who claimed the same thing in the novel. My wife and I still fondly remember the fantastic meal at an excellent Italian restaurant we happened upon.

    Later I returned to Oxford reading Colin Dexter's Morse novels, and by watching the PBS programs. My wife and I read them all, I believe. When they ended, I understood but was sad. Last week I was saddened to see that the author/creator, Colin Dexter, passed away. There is talk of putting a statue of him in Oxford, and I would like to see it one day. I would have liked to have had a pint or two with him!


       

 https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/mar/21/colin-dexter-obituary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...