Saturday, March 21, 2015

     Soundcloud of "Fifty Years On", my poem from this past summer which commemorates/reflects/recalls my family's move from Western Pennsylvania all the way to the Philadelphia area. While a move of less than 300 miles ( or mile if I use my native dialect), it represented a pivotal change in my life, and essentially a positive one.
    I read this on a poetry hangout last night, and it stayed with me.
     Oddly enough, my elder brother acclimated culturally more than I did. He does not sound Western Pennsylvanian, for example. His wife is from the Philadelphia area, and they have spent most of their married life there.
     As for me, I will say this; after I performed a wedding in Santa Fe, New Mexico, the groom's family (they were from Pittsburgh), told me "We didn't know a thing about you, but when you opened your mouth, we knew exactly where you were from." Do I have to tell yinz any more?
    Enjoy the poem! It will  likely appear in my second book, whenever that will be!

https://soundcloud.com/arthur-turfa-1/fifty-years-on

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...