Saturday, August 2, 2014

S
Significant "Song" Number 6.5  Beethoven's 9th Symphony, fourth movement "An die Freude"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pbMUEHvoAo

 Of course I realize this is not a song in the strict sense; that is why I place quotation marks around the word! In high shcool I bought a paperbeck of Friedrich Schiller's poetry, and labored word by word to translate. At Penn State I saw how one artistic genre influenced another. Beethoven, while completely deaf, composed this outstanding symphony and set to music Schiller's poem.
  Also at Penn State I directed the Third Program, the old WDFM's classical music station. The name comes form the BBC, and the campus radio station (now WPSU) . I learned about classical music there. Actually I was on the news staff, then did public affairs, and my organizational skills coupled with a lack of anyone else who could do it I suppose, vaulted me into the position. At least I could pronounce the names of the composers and performers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...