Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Am I Mellowing or Is Something Else Going On?


     I am a week or so from teaching TS Eliot's The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock in my college class. Already I think about wearing my trousers rolled, and how I can part retreating hair.

     Two days ago Angela Merkel announcement she would stand for re-election as German chancellor. She has outlasted such peer as Barack Obama ( we do have a two-term limit in the USA), Tony Blair in the UK, and many others.

   Were I a German voter (I tongue-in-cheek thought of being on in 2004!), I would be a Social Democrat (SPD). As a high school student of German I admired, and still admire, Willy Brandt. My great-grandfather was a Social Democrat when he left Germany in 1870. He was a war hero but became a Knight of Labor near Pittsburgh.

   Why the change? Merkel has smarts, is tough, and can hold her own with Donald Trump.CDU or not, it's the best we can do. Need I say more?

   And now, I have to decide whether or not I should eat a peach.

 http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/nahlah-merkel-populism-leader-1.3862117


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...