Monday, August 3, 2015

"New" Harper Lee Novel Now Being Read


     Over the years I have taught "To Kill a Mockingbird", and have also shown the movie. Years ago at Penn State I met and participated in a group interview with William Windom, who played the district attorney in the film. Windom was then starring in a one-man James Thurber show.

     Since those days I have wondered aloud how one can be a Great American Novelist having written only one novel. Maybe make it two, now. J.D. Salinger left some manuscripts, but is known for "Catcher in the Rye", and Truman Capote (Dill in "Mockingbird") wrote only three.

     No, I have not succumbed to envy. These writers have written more novels than I ever will. I do have a rough draft that I was going to toss before I deployed as my wife and I sorted out the basement.

    So far,  "Go Set a Watchman" has caught my attention about 75 pages in. We will see!

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/24817626-go-set-a-watchman

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...